Sunday, December 2, 2012

An update for the sake of updating

To be honest, I don't have a whole lot to update about, but I felt bad for not writing anything during the month of November, so I thought I'd probably better say at least something to let you know that Michael and I are still alive!

The last month has been busy with school; we have about six weeks between our two major breaks (October and Christmas), and those six weeks are crammed with regular school things as well as the extra stuff that comes along with Christmas. Our annual Christmas program is coming up on December 13-15 (yes, that's THREE days of Christmas programs), and all the teachers and students are busy preparing for it in different ways. As a teacher of high school students, this means for the last few weeks I've been pushing and prodding my students to come up with an idea for their performance. For the outdoor part of the program, each individual class prepares a performance to do on a stage in front of an audience. The teachers of the younger grades decide on a song/performance, then teach it to their students. The older grades typically come up with their own by a certain deadline. Michael and I both mostly just have to oversee the activities of our students and approve of the performance details for our classes - so we don't have that much work in comparison to the teachers of younger grades!

We only have six more days of school before the Christmas program (and then a little over two weeks of break!); I'm really looking forward to having another break! Michael and I are not sure what we will be doing for this break yet, but we've got some different ideas in mind. In general, I'm just excited to have another break from teaching!

Thanksgiving weekend was good for us; we don't get time off from school for that holiday, so we taught on Thanksgiving Day. On the Friday after Thanksgiving we didn't have school, and at night we had a big Thanksgiving meal with many of the teachers from our school. We do this every year, and it's always a lot of fun. There was a random mix of food, but it included most of the staples: turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. The exciting part of Thanksgiving here is that you never know what sort of delicious extras might get included: one year someone brought taco salad and a variety of traditional Filipino foods. Michael and I brought chicken this year (supplemental fowl, you know!) - turkeys here are fairly small and outrageously expensive. There was also some sort of soup, apple crisp, and some REALLY good pumpkin cookies!

Those are the highlights of the last month, I guess. We are happy, healthy, and enjoying the ins and outs of every day life. Hopefully the next time I update I'll have some better stories to share! Blessings to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment